Policies and Procedures
Recommended age requirements for students are as follows:
- Nursery: 3 years old by December 31
- KG 1: 4 years old by December 31
- KG 2: 5 years old by December 31
- Gr. 1: 6 years old by December 31
- Gr. 2: 7 years old by December 31
- Ending with Gr. 12: 17 years old by December 31.
UAS admissions procedures are selective, and only average and above average students with no apparent behavior or learning difficulty gain admission.
Prospective students at EC Early Childhood levels (Nursery – KG2) are interviewed. There are no academic requirements for acceptance into Nursery and KG1 (3 to 4) years old; they must be toilet-trained and able to speak and follow simple instructions.
All other prospective students take an assessment test in English and Mathematics. The standardized test scores and the student’s previous academic records are used to determine if the student has attained an average or above standard for each subject. It is important to ensure that our challenging educational program is able to serve the applicant’s educational needs. Once the school has taken into consideration all the aspects of the applicant’s admissions process, the admissions team then makes its final placement decisions.
In cases where extra academic support is needed, the school has various strategies and resources to help bring the student to the required academic level. For example, there is the option of attending summer school or perhaps extra after school classes in a certain subject. Special academic support is taken very seriously by the school. Parents are expected to be supportive and cooperative throughout the process.
All students admitted to UAS must live with their parent(s) or an authorized legal adult guardian.
ADMISSION PROCESS FOR NEW STUDENTS
Beginning in December (and continuing on a rolling basis until classes are full) applications for the following year are accepted for consideration.
Application forms are available in the Registration and Admission Office at the Universal American School. Overseas students may Apply Online: [email protected] **
** Please note that this process DOES NOT guarantee your child’s placement at UAS.
First: Submission of Documents- Kindly submit the following documents to the Admissions Office before scheduling for an Entrance Exam:
- Application form completed entirely by the applicant’s parent/legal guardian (in both English & Arabic).
- Two recent passport size photographs.
- Copy of Student’s Birth Certificate with full immunization records.
- Copy of Student’s, Mother’s and Father’s/Guardian’s Civil ID.
- Copy of Student’s, Mother’s and Father’s/Guardian’s Passport for all students.
- Copy of Father’s Nationality certificate (for Kuwaiti Students).
- Copy of Official Transcripts or report cards from last three years including the current year.
- A non-refundable Application & Assessment fee of KD 65 is payable prior to the day of the Assessment.
* IMPORTANT FOR SINGLE PARENTS: If you are divorced, please submit custody papers of your child and a court order that identifies the educational custody carrier. In case of a parent deceased, a death certificate should be submitted to the school.
Second: Admissions Assessment and Interview
When ALL required documentation has been submitted with the appropriate fees* to the school Registration and Admission Office, UAS Registrar will contact parents to schedule an interview for Pre-Kg to KG2 applicants and an assessment test and interview for grades 1 to 12 applicants.
Once the assessment test has been completed, the applicant’s file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Admissions may be granted, denied or the School may place the student on a waiting list.
In all cases, the parent/guardian will be notified of the outcome of the assessment.
If assessment results are satisfactory and places are available, parents will be invited to register their child.
Third: After Acceptance Please Submit:
- A complete Health File from Kuwait Ministry of Health / Previous School.
- Financial Clearance Certificate from previous school. (Students transferring from another school in Kuwait.)
- Original Transfer Certificate from previous school. (Students transferring from another school in Kuwait.)
Once ALL the above documents have been submitted to the admissions office, UAS will confirm the student’s start date.
When a student is officially enrolled at the school by his/her parent, this implies a full commitment by both the parent and the student to the school rules and policies. Parents must sign the commitment form, which is included in the Student/Parent Handbook.
The school is considered as an official reporting place for the parents in case of any need to inform them about school correspondence and legal announcements.
Students applying from overseas, regardless of nationality must bring with them copies of school transcripts from the last three years that have been certified by the Kuwaiti Embassy or Consulate in the country they are leaving. This is required by the Ministry of Education and will allow students to complete the process of official registration at UAS.
If no residency visa, please provide a letter from the sponsor’s company advising visa is under process and indicate when visa will be completed. As a temporary measure, the school will accept a photocopy of entry visa. The school will require visa within 6 weeks of child starting school. Once the visa is received please provide us with a copy, so your child could be registered officially at the Ministry of Education.